Creative Solutions For Your Business
We offer the services and sophistication of a large firm combined with the personalization of a smaller firm in order to help your business thrive.
About the Firm
Our law firm’s philosophy is to provide creative tax and business solutions for our clients. As lawyers, we efficiently represent clients in negotiating complex business transactions. We listen to our clients and understand their business needs. We deliver to clients the abilities and sophistication of a large firm, but with a small law firm’s personalized attention. Our small size allows us to provide our clients innovative legal and tax solutions.
Robert Briskin maintains a Malibu office for the convenience of clients who may be located in Ventura County and western Los Angeles County.
Comprehensive Solutions for
We advise businesses at all stages of development from startup to mergers and acquisitions. Our areas of practice include tax, trusts and estate planning, real estate, business sales, mergers and acquisitions, corporate and partnership transactions. We work closely with our clients’ accountants, commercial and investment bankers, insurance agents, brokers and other professional advisors to help our clients achieve their goals, and to provide practical solutions.
We constantly review the latest tax and legal authorities in our areas of practice in order to provide our clients with the most current advice. Attorney Robert Briskin is an author of leading tax articles and is a frequent lecturer before accounting, legal, business and trade groups.
Examples of legal matters in which we have represented clients are:
- Structured the reorganization of multiple limited liability companies owning industrial, office and retail properties with an aggregate asset value in excess of $575 million.
- Represented client in the tax structuring of a residential condominium project to achieve long-term capital gain income tax rate on sale, and to minimize ordinary income.
- Assisted client in the stock sale and tax structuring of an electrical components manufacturing company for a sales price of $80 million.
- Served as attorney to client in the sale of their manufacturing business in a tax-free transaction.
- Worked with bankruptcy attorneys to assist clients structuring loan workouts in a tax advantageous manner.
- Represented client in the stock sale of an aviation service corporation for a sales price of $8 million, which included a corporate earn-out formula.
- Represented client in the sale of commercial land in Southern California for a sales price in excess of $25 million.
- Assisted client in tax planning for the acquisition of a retail shopping center consisting of space in excess of 1 million square feet, for a purchase price of approximately $110 million.
- Assisted clients to plan and structure their estate plans and family businesses with aggregate asset values ranging from $2 million to in excess of $600 million.
- Represented landlord in negotiating the lease of office and distribution facilities to an international manufacturing company for space comprising approximately 325,000 square feet.
- Utilization of GRATs, family partnerships, sales to family members, trusts and other techniques to maximize tax benefits, reduce the family’s liability exposure, and to achieve the family’s dispositive goals.
- Represented client in the acquisition of an electrical components manufacturing company.
- Represented clients to set up private foundations, charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts in order to reduce taxes, and achieve the clients’ dispositive goals.
- Represented client in the sale of its waste management business in a tax-free corporate transaction.
- Represented client in the tax structuring of a reverse construction Section 1031 exchange of their business’s corporate headquarters and property into a newly constructed building.
- Assisted clients in structuring a corporate business asset sale to achieve long-term capital gains tax treatment.
Links to Helpful Resources
- Links to Articles and Checklists on real estate, corporate transactions and business matters, estate planning and taxes.
- Links to helpful Websites on accountants, agriculture, corporate, LLC and partnership matters, business sales, mergers, property taxes, real estate, Federal and California taxes, charities, intellectual property, stocks and securities, and financial information.